Tuesday 27 January 2015

Role model: I started life as cobbler - O’Jez MD




By Maduabuichi Kalu
The name O’Jez Entertainment means different things to different individuals and the founder of the entertainment out also represents different things to different people. There is no gain saying that O’Jez entertainment is a household name in the entertainment industry in the country. It is even more popular in Lagos than anywhere else in the country, as its headquarters is in Lagos.
O’Jez Entertainment is beyond what most people knew of it. Most people knew O’Jez Entertainment as hangout in the heart of the nation’s commercial capital, Lagos. Its operational headquarters is at the National Stadium, Surulere Lagos that is the extent to which some people knew about O’Jez Entertainment.
It is a popular first class handout for Nigerians particularly the members of the Nigerian Home Video entertainers otherwise called Nollywood.
It is a relaxation spot where people gather to ease off tension and stress after the hard day work. Outside of eating and drinking and dancing that one usually witness at the O’Jez Entertainment, the outfit which is a child of circumstance according to Managing Director and founder, Chief Joseph Anayo Odobeatu, has other branches such as its record label which produced popular Nigerian Musician Sunny Nneji, Chijioke a.k.a (Osadebe Junior) Sly Collins of O’Jez Ghana and many other artists even the record label is set to unveil new artists in no distant time.
In recent interview with the Anambra State born businessman, he revealed that he was not born with silver spoon as he described himself as somebody from a very humble background. He said that he started as a shoemaker in his village before he came to Lagos to serve as apprentice to his boss before he was settled after a meritorious service.  
 “I did not set out to be in the entertainment industry. I was into engineering services that has been my main business. As a young man, I did not set out to be in the entertainment industry. I must say that I came into entertainment industry as a result of circumstance that came up as a part of business that we are into. That was what made me to come into entertainment. Of course I was also into food business. But like I said earlier, as young man I did not set out initially to go into entertainment. But so far so good, we have no regrets particularly as we are giving our customers value for their money,” Chief Odobeatu said
Honestly speaking, I did not expect to be as big as it is at the moment. O’Jez has grown over the years and it is still growing. The growth is necessitated by the concept we have, and we are grateful to God for where we are today.
I have every reason to thank God because when O’Jez started we were bubbling and we thank God that O’Jez is still bubbling in people’s minds. Over time O’Jez has grown to become a brand because people are familiar with the name O’Jez Entertainment.  O’Jez has become a brand to reckon within the entertainment industry in the country. Hardly can you see an average Lagosian who has one business or the other to do with the entertainment industry in the country that will claim ignorance of O’Jez Entertainment,” he said.
Speaking further, the O’Jez MD explained that he always feel happy any time helps any individual even as he urged well to do individual to help government provide employment to the army of unemployed youth of the country.  
“As far as I am concerned, I always feel happy any time I put smiles on people’s faces no matter how little it is particularly when I help people find their feet in life. You can never get a greater joy in doing such a thing,” Chief Odobeatu explained.
“The most important thing like I do tell people is wherever you find yourself, just thank God. You should realise that all human beings are created by God. That you find yourself in privilege position does not in any way mean that you are better than the other person, because at the end of the day, you will only sleep in one bed and in one room and not two at a time. It all depend on individual and I can tell you that for today, I thank God because I remain who I am. My position is that if by the special grace of God I can continue to get three square meal a day, I will continue to thank God.
On his relationship with his workers, Chief Odobeatu explained that he considers his workers as his bosses because without them he can’t have three-square-meal a day. “I can tell you without mixing words that my relationship with my staff is cordial. The only challenge facing us is the economic situation in the country, but we will continue to manage the situation for the good of all. You know for me, my workers are my bosses because I respect them a lot because without them, I can get my daily bread. I don’t believe in lording it over to people. That is why I see them as my bosses. Like I said earlier; our relationship is cordial and we put heads together to ensure that we move the business forward.
Speaking on how he started, the Anambra State born businessman said: “I always tell people who care to know or listen that I was not born with silver spoon rather I started from a very humble background. I started as a shoe maker in my village before I came to Lagos to serve my master who later settled me after a meritorious service and since then we have not stopped struggling. We have continued to gather things little by little and I must say that I thank God for where we are today. It has not been an easy journey so far, but having faith in God and being truthful in business has always been our source of blessing.        
On his advice to people who are looking up to you as a role model Chief Odobeatu said: “Like I always tell people, once you sleep and wake up and sleep and wake up, you should be able to realise that something made you to sleep and wake and as a result, you should always believe in God. And again one should be able to remain oneself.  Whatever one is doing in life, one should be humble because when you travel abroad and see people who have made it in life and see the way they live their lives, you will realise that there is no need for anybody to be feeling too important or better than others. The white people who have accomplished so much in life are easy going and you won’t even know they are the same people that have accomplished so much in life.
As a matter of fact my advice to people is that they should be humble, sincere and place their trust in God. They should equally be hard working and pray for God’s grace even as they should also show love to others no matter how little,” Chief Odobeatu advised.

No comments:

Post a Comment